Awards two McNaughton Centre Upgrade Grants to Queen's University anf the
University of Alberta
Awards three Grants to establish new centres at the Royal Military College
and the universities of Guelph and Victoria
Awards a Special Grant to the University of New Brunswick - Robotics Competition
Awards a Special Grant to McMaster University - High Altitude (Near Space) Balloon project.
Awards an IEEE Canadian Foundation Scholorship to Susan Perkins of the University of Victoria
Awards a Special Grant to the University of Saskatchewan - Elevator: 2010 Climber/Power Beaming Competition
Awards the 2006 Women in Engineering Prize to Lori Hogan
Awards the 2006 VT Travel Grant to Yan Wen Liang (Univeristy of British Columbia)
IEEE Canadian Foundation Scholarship certificates are signed by the presidents
of the IEEE Canadian Foundation and IEEE Canada and presented to Section
Chairs (or their delegate) at the annual spring meeting of the IEEE Canada
Board of Directors - this year in Ottawa - the photo shows the Section
representatives together with the two presidents. These certificates will be
framed and presented to the Scholarship holders by their local Section chair
at a suitable Section or Branch meeting.
- Standing, from left to right are; Bob Alden (IEEE Canadian Foundation
President), Rasvan Mihai (Vancouver Section Chair), Lawrence Whitby (S.
Alberta Section Chair), Branislav Djokic (Ottawa Section Chair), Amir
Aghdam (Montreal Section Chair)
- Seated, from left to right are; Dawn Nedohin-Macek (Winnipeg Section Chair),
Kathleen Chafe (Newfoundland & Labrador Section Chair), and Bob Hanna
(President IEEE Canada).
Two prizes were awarded by the IEEE Canadian Foundation on behalf of IEEE
Montreal Conferences Inc. for 2006 at the Science Fair Bell ExpoSciences
in Montreal on April 4.
Stefan Nicolau (left), wins the IEEE Shoaib A. Khan prize ($750), shown with
Carole Charlebois, Director General, Quebec Scientific Development Council.
Alexey Sokolov, (right), wins the IEEE Éloi Ngandui prize ($750), shown with
The Board of Directors meeting is held on April 4, after
the Annual Membership meeting and;
- re-elects as members Mo El-Hawary (Canadian Atlantic), John Mowbray
(Kitchener-Waterloo), Ossama Iskandar (Toronto), David Whyte (Toronto) for
- elects new members Kash Hussein (London), Janet Bradley (Hamilton),
John Plant (Kingston), Slawo Wesolkowski (Ottawa), and Paul Fortier (Quebec)
for 5-yr terms
- noted that over the past three years the percentage of Sections with foundation members has climbed from 50% to 60% to 80%.
- elects new emeritus members, Len Ruggins and Flip Lunan, recognizing
their seminal contributions to the formation of Montreal Conferences Inc.
- reappoints the current officers for a further one-year term
- awards eight 2006 IEEE Canadian Foundation Scholarships,
Louis Girard, Université de Sherbrooke
Ramnesh Bansal, Ryerson University
Nuzhat Rehman, Carleton University
Jordan Choi, University of Calgary
Nina Selak, Universitry of British Columbia
Robert Coish, Memorial University of Newfoundland
Xiaolin Song, Concordia University
Stephen Woodrow, University of Manitoba
- awards three IEEE Canadian Foundation Special Grants
Laval University 2006 RoboCup Laval "Autonomous
Soccer Player Robot Construction and Competition"
University of Waterloo - “5th International
Conference for Upcoming Engineers” 
Dalhousie University - "Exploring the Electrical
Engineering Profession In NS" initiative
- awards the 2006 IEEE Canada Power Quality Scholarship, $1500, to Cody
Wilson at the University of Calgary
The Annual Membership meeting is held on April 4 and;
- receives the President's annual report describing progress over
the past year and plans for the future
- receives the report of the Grants committee summarizing that in 2005,
the IEEE Canadian Foundation
- awarded 8 Scholarships, 4 Learning Centre Upgrade Grants,
6 Special Grants, and 2 Vehicular Technology Grants (1 Research & 1 Travel) -
- re-elects current directors Guy Olivier and Vijay Sood, whose 3-yr terms are
- elects two new directors, Janet Bradley and Om Malik to replace
Wallas Khella and Dave Kemp as directors for 3-yr terms.
- approved the 2006 operating budget and appointed the auditors for 2006
Vijay Sood, IEEE Canadian Foundation Director, is
elected an IEEE Fellow - the citation reads "for contributions to
modeling and simulation of high voltage DC (HVDC) transmission systems